Share on Whatsapp
Ahead of the hole of museums in Paris and Marrakesh devoted to the paintings of Yves Saint Laurent, listed here are some milestones in the lifetime of the trend icon.
– Starting out –
– He is born on August 1, 1936 in Algeria’s Mediterranean town of Oran and named Yves-Mathieu Saint-Laurent.
– In his overdue teenagers, he strikes to Paris in 1954 to check design and wins 3 of the 4 first prizes in the distinguished International Wool Secretariat festival for emerging type skill.
– In 1955 Saint Laurent is employed as a design assistant through Christian Dior. Two years later, when Dior dies hastily, he’s appointed leader fashion designer.
– Making a reputation –
– His first solo assortment for Dior, in 1958, is the Trapeze Line of slim shoulders and huge skirts that receives rave opinions, launching his title. The identical 12 months he meets long run lover and industry spouse, Pierre Berge.
– He and Berge get started dwelling in combination in 1961 and located the Yves Saint Laurent (YSL) luxurious couture area.
– His 1966 spring display options the primary tuxedo for ladies, upending the principles at a time when most girls didn’t put on pants. The first Saint Laurent ready-to-wear store opens on Paris’ Left Bank the similar 12 months.
– The “safari look” and primary see-through get dressed reason a sensation at his spring number of 1968.
– 1971, in his mid-thirties, he poses bare for an ad for his first perfume for males, “YSL pour Homme”.
– His fragrance for ladies, “Opium”, is introduced in 1977, to change into a long lasting international luck.
– In 1983 Saint Laurent turns into the primary fashion designer to have a retrospective devoted to his paintings in his personal lifetime. The exhibition on the Metropolitan Museum in New York is visited through 1,000,000 other people.
– Towards retirement –
– YSL is bought to French commercial staff Elf-Sanofi in 1993 for $650 million.
– Gucci completes a takeover of Sanofi, mother or father corporate of YSL, in 1999 and appoints Tom Ford as ingenious director.
– Saint Laurent marks the 40th anniversary of his type area on January 22, 2002, and officially pronounces his retirement, bringing down the curtain on an unparallelled profession.
– He dies on June 1, 2008 at his house in Paris, elderly 71, struggling a mind tumour. His funeral is attended through celebrities and one of the largest names in type.
Share on Whatsapp